Friday, June 09, 2006

starting somewhere near the beginning

The start of my 2006 summer merits at least some intro for those of you knew to this story:
Orlando American Society for Microbiology (ASM) 106th annual meeting:: My supervisor, Dr. Summer, practically stated that I needed to go to this meeting. This would require me presenting my own research at a conference with thousands upon thousands of experts and equals and geniuses and well... a little scary to say the least. But I did it, yknow... why not? I'm just a little undergrad, if I make a mistake it's easily forgivable - I'm learning right?
Colombia family, food, hiking, soccer, beaches, food, food, food:: I'd already had both Orlando and Nara figured out, when my dad decided that instead of sending us for a vacation to the usual beaches of Aruba - he'd send us to Colombia as my mom's anniversary gift (25th). So, had to squeeze it in somehow!!!
Nara, Japan Internship at NAIST under Dr. Hirotada Mori:: Some of you might now that I have certain goals pertaining to my life. One of those is going to Japan, another is becoming a successful scientist, so I can discover things in genetics that no one's ever discovered before! Ok so seriously, i thought "what better time to go to Japan than when I'm an undergrad?!" I mean, if I actually get to gradschool I'm sure I'm going to need ultraconcentration and probably won't be planning (much less paying) for extravagant trips. And I had no internship as of yet - so why not an internship in Japan? Easier than it sounds.
By pure stroke of luck, and my characteristic penchant for talking too much, I ended up talking to Dr. Hu (took molgene with him) at the AgCafe lunch line about that I was looking for that internship in Japan. Longer story short, he talked to Dr. Mori in Japan, who accepted me and will be receiving me at the Osaka airport on Monday.

Other than that, it's starting to hit me that I'm supposed to be older than I how I act, and that a lot of my friends either graduated or got married... and that I feel more underprepared for the first than for the second. Well, here goes my (hopefully) regular updates on this summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home